Happy Friday, friends! We are off to my parents’ tonight with the intention of boarding a plane in Raleigh on Sunday morning to head to New Orleans for the week, but now that Tropical Storm Nate is possibly hitting hurricane status by that time our plans are sort of up in the air. I know that I certainly don’t want to be landing at the airport there at the same time as Nate, so I hope we’ll know more by tomorrow night. Fingers crossed for us, though I’d rather have everything cancelled than go and spend the week wading through six inches of water in the French Quarter.
I’ll be taking a blog (writing/reading) and email break all next week (hopefully). Wish us luck! I want so badly to have lots of stories, photos, and recommendations for NOLA to share when I’m back!
- A Perfect Weekend at the Jersey Shore
- Snapshots of a day in New York City
- Book Review: ‘This Savage Song’ by Victoria Schwab
On the Internets
- There have been 248 mass shootings in the US this year alone, and there are common themes behind the lives of most of the shooters: past history of abuse against women and pervasive echoes of toxic masculinity.
- An interview with my favorite photographer Ryan Muirhead: Conveying Difficult Life Experiences Through Emotional Imagery (video).
- Emotional labor is the unpaid job men still don’t understand.
- How a controversial mural of Richmond went up 75 years after it was created.
- True Co. interviewed fellow blogger Catherine Short for their Femme Friday series.
- Full House fans have been wrong about Kimmy Gibbler for 30 years.
Posts I Loved
- Do You Not Know How Beautiful You Are? by Jeff Pillow
- I Cannot Do All the Things by Elizabeth of Oak + Oats
- A Day In My Life in 2017 by Taylor of The Daily Tay
- Into the Desert: Salvation Mountain, East Jesus, and Bombay Beach Ruins by Jae of Scatterbrain